Certificate in counseling psychology online: What every student needs to know first before applying for any psychological course online or on-campus is essential information about it.
We will begin this article with the important information you need to know before beginning your journey to your course of study. A student that completed a post-masters certificate program in professional counseling is required to gain a deep knowledge and understanding of a specialty role in the life of a patient.
You will learn how to counsel patients with neuroses and other behaviors that are not normal with an upright human. You need to understand the reasons behind human and animal behavior. If your course requires that you learn children and adolescent psychology, you will learn it too. You will also need to learn about those who abuse a substance. Remember, a masters degree program will be based on the original research. Research methods used by professional psychologists will not be left out of what you will learn.
Remember, certificate programs require that a student should acquire psychology graduate degree, 3 letters of recommendation, a transcript of previous coursework, and to attend in-person interviews. The program specializations include behavioral counseling, motivational counseling, substance abuse counseling, vocational counseling, adolescent counseling, and family counseling. The programs are normally fixed to last in total for 9-30 credit hours and often require an internship and supervised fieldwork.
The courses included in the post-masters certificate are taught based on theory and practical approach, and the abnormal psychology of human behavior is as listed below:
- Behavior disorders
- Research methods in psychology
- Behavioral neuroscience
- Psychology and childhood
- Psychology and adolescence
- Substance abuse counseling
Certificate in Counseling Psychology Online – Let’s talk about the Career Outlook
The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has the record that most of the specialty professional counselors are those in school and career counseling. The total employment from this angle alone is 253,460 in the year 2015. The substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors in the other hand have the total of 87, 090 employed in the year 2015 while mental health counselors and marriage and family psychologists have the total of 160, 270 workforces in the company the same year.
From the information above, you will get to understand that the counsellorship employment rate boost between 2014 and 2015 going by the specialty field. The percentages are as follows: 8 percent for school and career therapists, substance abuse and behavioral disorder have a percentage of 22; mental health practitioners and marriage and family counselors score 19 percent accord to (BLS).
Have you read - Accredited Mental Health Counseling Programs
Certificate in Counseling Psychology Online – Requirements for Certificate in Counseling Psychology
Behavioral Health and Counseling Psychology Certificate
This certificate course in psychology is a 15 credit course and shall provide core information and comprehensive impact for students that are interested in acquiring a degree in behavioral health and clinical or counseling psychology. If you are a psychology major, it will also be useful for you to pursue clinically, or counseling psychology and as well as it will be useful for returning students taking courses online or part-time to enhance their career opportunity. Having acquired this certificate, it will serve as a means to become a major in psychology.
Certificate in Counseling Psychology Online – The Requirements for this particular course
Since this course – Psychology overviews the assessment, causes, and treatment of psychological, introduction to clinical psychology will focus on diagnostic procedures, treatment, and ethical problems pertaining to working in mental health centers. PSCH 495 as the course code is called provides a 3 –credit loads supervised internship practice. If you can provide reliable or adequate documentation of your professional skill, this requirement may be waived for you. I shall list some course below; they shall serve as the standard to meet students’ specific needs. We should equally take note of the fact that all psychology courses require the prerequisite of PSYCH 100—this is also an introduction to psychology.
Students should understand that they must score C or a better grade in each of the certificate course and must have been completed in the year 2012 spring or after.
- These are the courses that are required:
- PSYCH 270: Introduction to Abnormal Psychology (3 credit unit)
- PSYCH 481: Introduction to Clinical Psychology (3 credit units)
- PSYCH 495: Internship (3 credit units).
Choose two of the following courses as may be required in the course of your study:
- PSYCH 404/EDPSY 450: Principles of Measurement (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 423: Social Psychology of Interpersonal/Intergroup Relationships (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 473: Behavior Modification (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 474: Psychological Intervention in Childhood (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 476: Child Psychopathology (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 477: Mental Health Practicum with Children (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 470: Abnormal Psychology (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 471: Psychology of Adjustment and Social Relationships (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 478: Clinical Neuropsychology (3 credits)
- PSYCH 238: Introduction to Personality Psychology (GS) (3 credits unit)
- PSYCH 243: Introduction to Well-being and Positive Psychology (GS) (3 credits unit)
Have you read - Types Of Counseling Certifications That You Should Know
Child Development Certificate
The course is equally 15 credit loads, and it provides the core information and expertise for students that are focused on the field of child development. Students will be provided with a broad overview of the development phases of the underlying child or adolescent development. The course will favor psychology majors, as well as for adult and traditional students offering the course in a part-time mode either online or on-campus for career opportunities working with children and adolescent. The course may be useful for both psychologies major and minor.
Certificate in Counseling Psychology Online – Requirements for the Particular Course
This course has two parts namely Part A and Part B. part A makes the provision for students through a broad overview of human development across the lifespan, and this includes the consideration of change in a person’s physical, intellectual, personality, and social domains, and the influence of contexts of development this could be in the family, school, peers, and culture, within each Domain. Part B on its own part, grooms student with specific abilities related to child and adolescent psychology. Two additional courses will equally be added during the course of study as will be listed below. All psychology courses will always demand PSYCH 100 as a prerequisite because it is an introduction to psychology. Remember, you must have a C or better grade in each certificate course.
One of the followings is compulsory:
- PSYCH 212: Introduction to Developmental Psychology (3 credits)
- HD FS 129: Introduction to Human Development and Family Studies (3 credits)
You must take two of the following:
- PSYCH 410: Child Development (3 credits)
- PSYCH 412: Adolescence (3 credits)
- PSYCH 476: Child Psychopathology (3 credits)
You must take two additional courses from the following list:
- EDPSY 014: Learning and Instruction (3 credits)
- HD FS 229: Infant and Child Development (3 credits)
- PSYCH 221: Introduction to Social Psychology (3 credits)
- PSYCH 238: Introduction to Personality Psychology (3 credits)
- PSYCH 256: Introduction to Cognitive Psychology (3 credits)
- PSYCH 413: Cognitive Development (3 credits)
- PSYCH 414: Social and Personality Development (3 credits)
- PSYCH 473: Behavior Modification (3 credits)
The 15 credit course undergraduate program in crime, psychology and public policy (CRMPPP) provides you with an overview of the courses to learn under crime and criminal behavior, the legal and criminal justice processes, and public policy channeled towards crime related matters. As a student, it is guaranteed that you will receive an intensive understanding of the social and psychological programs causes of crime, policies to tackle and prevent crime. You will learn applied psychology to observe and intuitive criminal behavior, and the legal processes that involve both an accused and a convicted offender.
The certificate program is intended for that are aiming at learning more about the criminal justice system and things that cause crime. You may also be aiming at pursuing a career in the police, security, the correctional system social work, law, psychology, journalism, and government or politics.
The List of Courses to be studied to gain the certificate
You will have to pick 3 credits in each of the following subject areas from a program list of approved courses.
These are the Criminology Approved list of courses
- SOC 012(GS) – Criminology
These are the Crime and the Individual Approved list of courses
- PSYCH 243(GS) – Introduction to Well-being and Positive Psychology
- PSYCH 256(GS) – Introduction to Cognitive Psychology
- PSYCH 261(GS) – Introduction to Psychology of Learning
- PSYCH 270 – Introduction to Abnormal Psychology
- PSYCH 412 – Adolescence
- PSYCH 473 – Behavior Modification
- PSYCH 476 – Child Psychopathology
These are the Crime and Society Approved list of courses
- CRIMJ 423 – Sexual and Domestic Violence
- PSYCH 221(GS) – Introduction to Social Psychology
- PSYCH 232(GS; US; IL) – Cross-Cultural Psychology
- PSYCH 445 – Forensic Psychology
- SOC 013(GS) – Juvenile Delinquency
These are the Crime and Public Policy Approved list of courses
- PL SC 002 – American Public Policy
- PL SC 123(GS; US; IL) – Ethnic and Racial Politics
- PL SC 177(GS) – Politics and Government in Washington, DC
- PL SC 419 – The Bureaucratic State
- PL SC 439 – The Politics of Terrorism
- PL SC 482 – American State and Urban Politics
- PL SC 489 – Public Administration
These are Crime and Law Approved list of courses
- PL SC 178 – Organized Crime, Law, and Politics
- PL SC 471 – American Constitutional Law
- PL SC 472 – The American Legal Process
- PL SC 473 – American Judicial Behavior
- PL SC 487 – International Law and Organizations
This is a 15-credit interdisciplinary certificate program that is designed to prepare you with deep knowledge of the capacity and limitations of humans and the application of psychological practice to the creating and safety of products and services; this actually includes the consumer goods, products for military, website that are interactive and games, and assistive technologies. This particular certificate will require you to take introductory psychology and the two human factors courses that are in total of 9 credits units. You will also need to take another 1 additional psychology course which carries 3 credits, and one course that also carries 3 credits outside of their major of study for you to cultivate the interdisciplinary nature of this certificate program.
Certificate in Counseling Psychology Online – Requirements for this Course are 15 Credits Course
The course requires that as a Student, you must have a C or better grade in all of the certificate courses you are attending and remember one course must have been completed in 2013 or after spring 2013.
The prerequisites to be completed for the required Certificate.
You must take the following three courses, they are compulsory:
- PSYCH 100: Introductory Psychology (3 credits)
- PSYCH 244: Introduction to the Psychology of Human Factors Engineering (3 credits)
- PSYCH 444: Engineering Psychology (3 credits)
You are advised to offer one of the following courses:
- PSYCH 253: Introduction to Psychology of Perception (3 credits)
- PSYCH 256: Introduction to Cognitive Psychology (3 credits)
You should take one of the following courses; however, they must be outside your major course of study:
- EDSGN 100: Introduction to Engineering Design (3 credits)
- PSYCH 221: Introduction to Social Psychology (3 credits)
- SOC 005: Social Problems (3 credits)
- STS 200: Critical Issues in Science, Technology, and Society (3 credits)
- STS 233 and PHIL 233: Ethics and the Design of Technology (3 credits)
These programs are recommended for those who are in the line of becoming a professional psychologist. They will train you to in the specialty of your choice as mentioned in most of the points made above. You will be able to counsel a set of a school student, family, and marriages, you will become experts in investigating criminal cases and other related issues.
Don’t forget to study the article carefully to know those courses that are highly recommended and compulsory for you.